Friday, September 19, 2014

Mini Corn Dogs

Since summer is sadly coming to an end, I decided to make this recipe because it reminded me of the Indiana State Fair back home and the yummy corn dogs there. I haphazardly looked over the recipe when I was making my list, so I ended up forgetting the corn and onion. Two ingredients that I felt set this recipe apart from many others. So, while I prepared everything else, my hubby ran and got these two crucial ingredients. Well, needless to say, those two "crucial" ingredients, didn't really have a presence when we ate the corn dogs. It was just your average, run of the mill, corn dogs. They weren't bad by any means, there was just nothing that made them special to where I would have to have them or make them again. I have a few others to try, so maybe one of those will be better, but in the meantime, I'll keep looking! 




Mini Corn Dogs

Ingredients

1/4 cup cornstarch
2 packages hot dogs (we used Nathan's), cut into thirds
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 ear of corn, grated 
1/4 cup onion, grated
1 large egg, beaten
2 teaspoons honey
1 cup buttermilk

Roll hot dog pieces in a light coating of cornstarch, shaking off the excess, and set aside.
We used our deep fryer, but if you don't have one, use a medium, high sided sauce pan, heat 3-4 inches of oil to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels for draining.
In a large, deep bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cayenne. In another bowl, mix together corn, onion, egg, buttermilk, and honey. Add to the dry mixture and stir to combine. 

Dip cornstarch coated hot dogs in batter, shaking off the excess, and fry in batches until coating is deep, golden brown. Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towel lined pan. Enjoy with your choice of condiments.



No comments:

Post a Comment