Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Jalapeño Poppers in a Blanket

In June I did a post, you may or may not remember, with the agonizingly hot jalapeño peppers in the Firecracker Shrimp recipe.  Well, not ready to throw in the towel on jalapeños, because I do usually enjoy them, I decided to try another recipe.  I got the same peppers from the same store.  Am I a glutton for punishment?  I would soon find out!  The assembly, while not at all difficult, it was a little tedious.  I was lucky to have an extra set of hands to work on the filling while I wrapped and sealed the jalapeños in the puff pastry.  As time passed, I couldn't help but worry that this recipe would just be a waste, that I was just setting myself up for failure.  I sneakily pretended to be so enthralled with whatever was on TV just so Kev would have to take the first bite......haha.  He was still alive and kicking, not gasping for air or reaching for a beverage, so I decided to give it a go.  I took the smallest bite and waited for a few minutes.  I knew that I would be sweating and needed massive amounts of milk, but, none of that came.  Instead, it was the slight heat and delicious taste I had grown accustomed to.  The pastry was golden and crisp and the filling was delectable!  This is a definite must keep recipe!  They will be an especially great appetizer for football parties........Go Colts!  When you have a little extra, or extra hands, I urge you to give this recipe a try!  Enjoy!      


Jalapeño Poppers in a Blanket

Ingredients
1 egg
1 Tablespoon water
All-purpose flour
1 (17.3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
12 medium jalapeños, cut in half lengthwise and seeded

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Beat the egg and water in a small bowl and set aside.

Sprinkle flour on your work surface and unfold 1 pastry sheet.  Roll it out until it is about 9x12.  Cut into 12 (3 inch) squares.  Repeat with the second pastry sheet.

Stir the cheeses, garlic, and bacon in a bowl.  Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the cheese mixture into each pepper half.

Place the filled pepper, stuffed side down onto the pastry square at a diagonal.  Fold the pastry over the pepper and press to seal.  Line on a baking sheet.  Brush the pastries with the egg mixture.  Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Let the pastries cool 10 minutes on wire racks.  Serve with ranch or sour cream.







No comments:

Post a Comment