Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Firecracker Shrimp

I had been looking forward to this recipe, found here, for what seemed like forever.  So when my hubby told me to take the night off cooking on my birthday, my normal cooking night, this was the dish that was prepared.  I sat in the kitchen with my glass of Cab, anxiously waiting for the food I was about to taste.  How could you go wrong with shrimp, jalapeños, pepper jack cheese and bacon?  I was starting to get pretty antsy with the roles reversed when Kevin whispered the words every hungry wife wants to hear on her birthday........"Dinner is served."  The first one tasted so good, I immediately shoveled in another one then, the heat hit.  I eat jalapeños and pepper jack on many many things, but with this I was in agony and I wasn't the only one!  My first thought was that we bought the wrong peppers, but I double checked the market later and they were right, so I guess we just couldn't take the heat.  Other than scorching our mous off the shrimp did have great flavor and maybe by switching a thing or two up we can find a spice level more our speed.  The recipe is so easy to put together that you should try it, but make sure it suits your taste!


Firecracker Shrimp 

Ingredients
8-10 jumbo shrimp, peeled, tail-on, deveined, and butterflied
8-10 thin slices of bacon
3-4 fresh jalapeños
Pepper
1/4 cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cover a sheet pan with foil and place jalapeños on and in the oven.  Roast 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until soft. After removing from the oven, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees.  Once cool enough to handle, remove seeds and stems and cut lengthwise into 3 pieces.

Take a jalapeños and place in the butterflied groove of the shrimp, then wrap with a slice of bacon.  Place on baking sheet (I used my Silpat).  Bake 6-8 minutes or until shrimp and bacon are done.  Once done, remove and turn on the broiler.  Sprinkle with cheese and broil about a minute or until cheese melts.  


No comments:

Post a Comment