Friday, August 1, 2014

Rice Krispy Popcorn Chicken

Happy Friday everyone!  I hope you get to have a fabulous weekend, whether it's relaxing or doing something fun!  Well, on to the good stuff, or in this case, not so good.  Now don't stop reading just because I said it wasn't good, it has potential and everyone has different tastes.   When I originally saw this recipe I became intrigued at the use of Rice Krispies for breading so I had to try it.  Something new and different. sign me up.  Now I'm really bad a pre reading recipes before I make them.  I usually read the tittle, look at any pictures included, and then get my ingredients.  I started the recipe and got to the point of mixing together my spices, that's when I should of known I was heading for disaster.  Why oh why are we mixing 8 1/2 Tablespoon of spices together when we only need 3 for the recipe?  Even cutting it in half is more than sufficient.  Then on top of that, the thyme was so overpowering that we could not even finish the eating the chicken.  I can usually suck it up and eat a not so great meal because I don't like to be wasteful, but not in this case.  Now I have a bag of this extra spice mixture that will just go to waste.  However, in the bite that I did have, the Rice Krispy breading did have a nice crunch to it and I look forward to trying that part of it again.  I will just have to adjust the seasonings to a useful amount for the recipe that is not overpowering.  If you decide to try it, because you still should, season at your own risk!  


Rice Krispy Popcorn Chicken
*made without modifications

Ingredients
 1-1 1/4 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
1 1/2 Tablespoons salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons granulated onion
1 1/2 Tablespoons dried oregano
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
1 Tablespoon dried thyme
olive oil or cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Prepare a baking sheet with oil or cooking spray.  *I used my Silpat.

Crush the cereal slightly in your hands, not making it into a powder, and place in a large bowl.

Mix together your seasonings in a small bowl and add 3 Tablespoons to the cereal mixture.  Save the rest for another dish.  *Spices can be expensive, at least half them if you are going to try it as is.

Add several pieces of chicken to the cereal mixture and toss to coat.  Place on the baking sheet in a single layer.   

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, cool for a couple minutes and enjoy immediately with your favorite condiments. 



No comments:

Post a Comment