Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Mozzarella Chicken and Blackberry Pie Bars

 I combined the next two recipes to alleviate a post.  You're welcome!  In my opinion, you can skip right over the chicken and go straight to the pie bars.  As you can see from the original post here, there's looks so much better.  The major mistake I think I made was where the recipe called for me to drizzle the sauce over the chicken.  I followed the recipe and there was so much of the sauce.  I figured there was no way I wasn't supposed to use it all.  So, I poured it on.  That being said, even with the excess of sauce, it had absolutely no flavor.  If you make it and have better results, please let me know!  I would love to hear what you did.

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup mustard
lemon pepper to taste
4 slices of bacon cut in half
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  

Place the chicken in a baking dish and DRIZZLE with mustard and honey.  Sprinkle on lemon pepper.

Bake 25 minutes then top with two pieces of the bacon and sprinkle on cheese.  Bake an additional 10 minutes or until done.  Cheese should be melted and juices clear.


The chicken, honey mustard sauce, and lemon pepper.


The bacon cut in half.


Adding the bacon and cheese.



The finished product served with corn and not potatoes for once!


The blackberry pie bars were wonderful!  It is definitely a keeper recipe.  Not only were they delicious when first made, but they were equally, if not better, the next day heated up with a little butter.  My favorite part was the crust.  It had a nice crutch and subtle butter flavor that was so delectable.  Not that your mouth is watering, you should immediately go and get your ingredients to make these!  The recipe came from Tracey's Culinary Adventures and can be found here.  The recipe calls for almond extract, which I did get, but when it came time to make these I switched for vanilla (a suggestion from the original baker herself). Kevin  doesn't like nuts and I didn't want to chance him not liking the bars.

Blackberry Pie Bars

Ingredients

Crust

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes


Filling
2 large eggs
1 cups sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
pinch salt
zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
16 oz fresh blackberries


Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray an 8×8-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. (I used my standard glass rectangle pan and it was fine).


Add the flour, sugar, and salt to the bowl of your food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and continue pulsing until the pieces of butter are very small (like pebbles) and the mixture is crumbly. Transfer 3/4 cup of this mixture to a small bowl and set aside to use for the topping. Dump the remainder of the mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer to form the crust. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden and set. Remove the pan to a wire rack and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.


For the filling, mix together the eggs, sugar, sour cream, flour, salt, lemon zest, and almond extract until well combined. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the blackberries. Spread the filling over the crust (distributing the berries evenly). Top the filling with the reserved crust mixture – I like to squeeze in my hand to form clumps then sprinkle over the top so the pieces vary in size.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the bars are set (the topping won’t really brown much). Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow the bars to cool completely in the pan. To more easily cut them into squares, refrigerate briefly before serving.


I have all my ingredients ready.


The beginning of the crust/topping.


Mixing up the filling.  If you don't have a stand mixer it's no biggie.  You can always just use a whisk or hand mixer.


The finished product!  We ate them plain, but I'm sure some ice cream would be a great accompaniment.


No comments:

Post a Comment