Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Avocado Fries

I absolutely love avocados, Kev however, does not. So as I have mentioned before, I seized the opportunity while he was away to try a new avocado recipe for myself. I mainly eat my avocados raw on sandwiches, salads, or soups, so I wanted to try something different as to not get bored. That's when I decided to try my hand at avocado fries. Now I know it's not the healthiest option, but it's not that bad on the waistline! I have to say, I was really impressed with these. The avocado with slightly warmed with a nice crunchy crust on the outside. They almost melted in my mouth! I ate them as is and did not have a dipping sauce, but I'm sure you could, I just really am drawing a blank on what a good one would be. The next time I make them, I might try adding some spicy seasonings to the panko or flour for an extra little kick. If you love avocado, you must try these! It's always good to mix things up! Enjoy!  


Avocado Fries

Ingredients

Canola oil for frying
1/8 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup panko
1 firm and ripe avocados, sliced into 1/2 inch wedges

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 to 1 1/2 inches of oil until it reaches 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.

Meanwhile, mix flour with salt on a shallow plate. Place the egg in a bowl and beat. In another shallow dish, place the panko. Dip the avocado wedges in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, letting the excess drip off, then toss in the panko to coat. Set aside on a plate in a single layer.

Fry however many avocado slices will fit in your pan, without overcrowding, at a time until deep golden, about 30 to 60 seconds, turing occasionally. Transfer slices to a plate lined with paper towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment