Friday, October 10, 2014

Chipotle Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwiches

You may recall, I did a slow cooker BBQ pork sandwich a couple months ago. Well, I still had over two pounds of pork frozen from making that recipe that I decided it was time to finally put it to use. I first made this recipe many years ago, in fact, I don't think I've made it since. That's part of my problem. I make recipes that I love and save them, meticulously organized, on my computer in their appropriate file. I then find all these amazing new recipes and want to make them that I never get back to my old faves. Well I dug this one up and I, as well as the hubs, am sure glad I did. This recipe is sort of like a quicker slow cooker meal. You throw everything in a pot, bring it to a boil, and let it simmer for 45 minutes. At that point, the pork is so tender it just falls apart. It has just a tiny bit of spice to it, nothing overpowering, but it is oh so good. Like I said earlier, I had two pounds of pork still, so I just doubled everything and made enough to freeze (see picture below) in preparation for the potential awful winter. Especially necessary since we haven't experience the NJ/NY winter yet and apparently this one is supposed to be bad. If you are looking for a meal you don't really have to mess with, or want to prepare for the winter season, try this recipe out! Have a great weekend everyone! Enjoy!



Chipotle Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwiches 


Ingredients
7 ounce can chopped chilies
1/4 cup bbq sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 pound pork tenderloin, cubed
14.5 ounce diced tomatoes
1 Tablespoon olive oil
6 slices provolone
6 kaiser rolls

Optional
3 cups onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1 teaspoon sugar


Place chilies, bbq and next four ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.  

Cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Uncover and cook 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.  

The pork should be tender enough to fall apart in the pan, but if not, remove pork and shred.  Return to sauce.  

If having caramelized onions, heat oil over medium heat in a medium skillet.  Add onions, thyme and sugar, cook 10 minutes or until golden. 


*Note: if there is extra, freeze in a cupcake pan and place in a freezer bag once frozen. When ready to reheat, just put desired amount in a saucepan and heat all the way through! 


No comments:

Post a Comment