Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Nutella and Chocolate Dipped Fruit

I had really been on an Nutella on everything kick, my toast with strawberries, with apples, etc.  The great thing about chocolate dipped fruit is that it is fairly easy to make but usually seems very elegant.  There aren't very many people that don't like a chocolate dipped strawberry.  Well I decided to experiment with some different fruits and added Peanut Butter and Nutella to some.  The outcome was amazingly colorful and delish!  I loved seeing all the colors, especially since it has been rainy here.  If you want a wow factor at your next dinner party, make this.  You can mix and match fruits and spread and/or chocolates for dipping!  Try out some of our combinations or let me know what you come up with!  Enjoy!



Chocolate Dipped Fruit

Ingredients
1 Granny Smith apple
Strawberries (we used 4)
1 Banana
1 Orange
Blueberries (we did a small handful)
1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
1 Tablespoon shortening (can use coconut oil instead)

Optional:  lemon juice, dry fruit, crushed graham crackers, sea salt 



I started by getting my fruits ready.  I soaked them in water and vinegar for about 10 minutes and then rinse.  While those are soaking, I get my cookie sheet with my Silpat ready.    

The strawberries and blueberries I set aside on a towel to dry.  Next I peeled and segmented my orange and sliced my banana and then also put them on the paper towel.  The apple I save for last since it tends to brown, but I also put a little lemon juice on just in case.  I first cut my apple in half to one side of the core.  The half without the core I sliced and the half with, I used my apple cutter/corer.  Like the rest of the fruit I placed these on the paper towel.  You may wonder why I keep bring up the stupid paper towel.  Well, if your fruit isn't dry, your spread and chocolates won't stay on and will run right off.

Next I heated up the chocolate chips with the shortening in 30 second increments in the microwave until smooth.  

Now comes the fun part, the spreads and the chocolate!  I added Nutella and peanut butter to a few of the strawberries, bananas, and apples.  Then dip your fruits and place on your cookie sheet.  

I had some crushed graham crackers and dry fruit on hand so I sprinkled that on.  I also added a Hawaiian Citrus Lemon sea salt to the oranges. 

Then put your cookie sheet in the fridge until the chocolate sets.  
  




Apple slices, strawberries, bananas, oranges, apple wedges, and blueberries.......oh my!!



No comments:

Post a Comment