Tuesday, April 29, 2014

3 Envelope Picante Roast

It's raining here in New Jersey and I have my coffee and juice ready, so what better to do then to post more blogs!  I know, I know you can hardly contain your excitement!  If I can power through this week, then I should be caught up and not posting three+ posts a day.  Wooohooooo for us all!!  This next recipe is, you guessed it, EASY!  I feel like Pee-wee Herman and the gang should all come out screaming every time I say that.  The final product had both positive and negative attributes.  The negative aspect was that the roast was a little tough.  There are a couple things I can think of that could have caused this.  First, I have a 7 quart All-Clad slow cooker, which meant that liquid was not covering my measly 3.5 pound roast.  Which leads us to 2, I think if more water or possibly beef broth were added to cover the roast it would have been more tender.    
Despite the slight toughness, it wasn't like chewing on a piece of leather or anything, it had so much flavor.  I was a little skeptical of the picante sauce because it seemed like one of those which is the least like the other questions.  But much to my surprise, it added a nice little kick.  Now of course with just two of us, the reason why there are 3 dinners a week, there are leftovers!  To try to remedy the toughness, I added the leftover meat to the extra gravy.  It worked like a charm!  It was so amazing reheated and made me absolutely love this recipe, though I will probably try more liquid next time.  The original recipe can be found here!  You should check it out because she does a few different variations.  


Three Envelope Picante Roast

Ingredients

3 to 5 pound beef chuck roast (or other braising roast)

1 cup of water
One envelope of dry onion soup mix
One envelope of dry Italian dressing mix
One envelope of dry brown gravy mix
1 (8 ounce) jar of Pace Original Mild Picante Sauce


Instructions

Whisk together the water with ingredients from all 3 of the envelopes. Pour about 1/4 cup of the liquid on the bottom of the crockpot, place the roast on top. Don't be tempted to season the roast. There is plenty of salt and other seasonings in these envelopes.

Pour the remaining liquid mixture all over the top and all around the roast. Pour the jar of picante sauce on top of the roast, cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high 4 to 5 hours.

To thicken gravy, remove the roast and tent with foil to keep warm. Carefully transfer the contents of the crockpot to a saucepan and stir in a slurry of one tablespoon of cornstarch with just enough water to loosen. Stir into the sauce, bring up to a boil, reduce and simmer until thickened.        


The 3 envelopes and water getting mixed.


The finished roast.  You can see the picante sauce on it.


The plated meal......meat and potatoes to keep the hubby happy, oh and wine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment