Thursday, September 15, 2016

Gluten Free Blackberry Muffins


So I always give my husband a hard time about eating "crappy" foods. While he has gotten much better and has learned to try new things, one thing hasn't changed (that I was surprised about when we first started dating); his love for all things lemon and blackberry. Now I knew when I found this recipe, found here, that I had to make it for him. What I didn't tell him was that I wanted to try to make it gluten free. I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose baking flour even though the original recipe used All-Purpose flour so don't feel like you have to do it gluten free. However, I will say that they turned out really amazing. The blackberries just bust open every bite I took and the taste of lemon really complimented the berries and didn't overpower the muffins at all. They were so good they didn't even need butter (tried it with and without). They are nice and light and perfect for a grab and go breakfast or a simple dessert after dinner. Enjoy!


Blackberry Muffins

Ingredients
Topping
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons All-purpose flour
Grated zest from 1/2 of a lemon
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Muffin
2 cups All-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Grated zest from 1/2 of a lemon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed and dried

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place 12 muffin cups in muffin tin or grease with butter.

To make the topping, combine all ingredients in a bowl until crumbly and set aside.

For the muffins, put the paddle attachment on your mixer and start adding your wet ingredients first, then the dry, keeping the speed slow.  Adding everything but the berries.  Once everything is combined, fold in the blackberries by hand.  Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups.  Sprinkle the topping evenly between the 12 muffins.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until cake tester comes our clean.  Serve warm with or even without butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment