Friday, May 2, 2014

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

So what do you do when you wake up the morning you are supposed to make a slow cooker meal and realize you forgot the taco seasoning?  One could go to the store real quick, easy for my since there is a Milk & Honey downstairs.  However, I decided to look for a homemade version since I was confident we would have all the spices needed.  Whipping up the seasoning was such a breeze.  It smelled much more fragrant than the packaged kind that I don't think I'll ever go back.  There are many different versions you can find, but the one I used is here.  I did mine without the additional cayenne pepper, but next time I will definitely add it for a little kick.  The slow cooker chicken, found here, was so delectable and, what's the word I ALWAYS use......easy!  It could be eaten with no toppings, but we added a few to ours.


Homemade Taco Seasoning

Mix all of the following ingredients together.

1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 teaspoon Oregano
1/4 teaspoon Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Corn Starch

   


My ingredients for the taco seasoning.


Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (we used frozen, which she said was fine)
1 cup salsa
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
Taco Seasoning (above)
1/2 cup sour cream
Tortillas
Optional:  lettuce (for wraps or topping), tomato, cheese, etc

Place the chicken in the bottom of the crockpot.  Sprinkle on the taco seasoning.  Mix together the salsa and soup and pour over the chicken.  Let cook on high for 4 hours (could probably do low on 8 hours if need be).  
Once finished, shred the chicken and stir in the sour cream.  Easy enough!  



The chicken, pre-cooked.  


I used lettuce for one of mine to make it a little healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment