Thursday, May 22, 2014

My Granny's Chocolate Cobbler

The recipe name is a little misleading because it's not actually my granny's cobbler, thank goodness.  I don't even call my grandmother granny, but anyway.  This recipe, found here, was a complete miss for me.  First of all, when making it, I felt like I was just pouring a pound of sugar in it which made me cringe.  That's pretty bad, considering other things I have eaten.  Secondly, it just wasn't that great.  It didn't really taste chocolatey, just like muted sugar.  Needless to say, I won't be making this version again.  My arteries and waist are thanking me I'm sure!


My Granny's Chocolate Cobbler

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 Tablespoons cocoa powder, divided
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups hot water (I used the biggest Keurig setting and adding a little more to it)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and get out a 8 inch baking dish, ungreased.  

Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder, and 3/4 cup of sugar.

Mix in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla to the flour mixture until smooth.  Pour the mixture into your baking dish.

In a separate bowl mix together the remaining sugar (1/2 cup), brown sugar, and remaining cocoa powder (4 Tablespoons).  Evenly sprinkle this mixture over the batter in your dish, do not stir.

Pour the hot water over the top and again, do not stir.  Bake 40 minutes or until center has set.  I used a cake tester and it came out clean, but it was bubbling a lot.  Let stand for a few minutes.  I repeat, let stand for a few minutes.  It thickened up quite a bit by letting it sit about 10 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment