Thursday, October 9, 2014

Chicken Burrito Bowl

Yeah, it's not a pasta dish! I told you I had a few gems coming your way! Now I have seen this recipe pinned multiple times on everyone's Pinterest pages, so I decided to give it a shot. All I have to say is if you haven't made this dish yet, you are really missing out! It was so tasty! I mean look at the ingredients, how could you go wrong? Plus, it's all made in one pan, so it's a relative easy clean up! Bonus! You might be able to tell from my pic that mine was a little soupy. Well, that was my own fault. I thought I had enough rice, but it wasn't quite one cup. I'm sure if I had the full cup that I was supposed to it would have soaked up the juices more. Nevertheless, it still had amazing flavor! Everything blended together so nicely! I can't wait to make this again and you shouldn't wait to make it now! This is especially great for the fall weather we have be having here! Enjoy!



Chicken Burrito Bowls
Ingredients

1 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless), diced into bite sized pieces
3 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
1 cup uncooked extra-long grain rice
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups Colby Jack cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Optional
roma tomatoes
green onions
sour cream
avocado
tortilla chips

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté the onions in 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil until they start to soften.
Season diced chicken with kosher salt and pepper. Add chicken to the pan and cook until chicken has started to brown. Move chicken to one half of the pan, in the other half, add the additional Tablespoon of olive oil and sauté uncooked rice for about 2 minutes or until some of the grains start to turn golden brown. 

Stir in the black beans, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Sprinkle the cheese all over, recover and let set for 2-3 minutes off of the heat until the cheese is melted.
If desired, serve with tomatoes, green onions, sour cream, tortilla chips, and/or avocado.



2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are so good! Any tips?
    Also, this looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tori, you are too sweet! I am still a huge work in progress when it comes to my photog skills, but I find my best pictures are taken in natural light. We have a huge window in our living room so I set everything up right by it and shoot. I also sometimes use a piece of white poster board as a type of reflector for now if I'm not getting very good light. I hope that helps some! PS for every shot I post, I've probable taken 20 others to try to get it there :)

    ReplyDelete