Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Apple Spice Cake with Bourbon Glaze

I thought I better get this recipe posted since it is perfect for fall and well, fall isn't really happening this year I guess. Not that you can't eat it whenever of course. I just always think of apple and pumpkin recipes being perfect for fall weather. This recipe is very special to me because it was the very first thing I baked on my own many moons ago. I remember being so proud of myself because back then I thought it was so difficult. Well throughout the years my baking knowledge has increased and the tools (hello KitchenAid mixer) have improved greatly, but the taste of this cake has stayed the same. It is so deliciously moist with the perfect apple flavoring. The glaze makes it a little sweet, but not overpowering (below I've also included another version if you don't want to use bourbon in yours). It is too easy and tasty not to try! If you can, hurry up and make it before fall has completely left for the year! Enjoy! 



Apple Spice Cake with Bourbon Glaze

Ingredients

1 cup oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups chopped apples
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Optional
1 cup chopped pecans

Bourbon Glaze
1/2 cup Bourbon
1/2 cup sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour your bundt pan, set aside. 

Combine oil and sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at a time until combined. 

In a separate bowl combine flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the dry mix to the sugar mixture and add vanilla. Stir in pecans (if using) and apples. 

Pour into bundt pan, bake 1 hour 15 minutes. Once done, poke holes in the bottom before removing from the bundt pan and spoon over glaze, cool completely.


Bourbon Glaze

Place the bourbon and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over low to medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved and the glaze is slightly thicker. Remove from heat and use on the cake. 







* Here is the original glaze I used before which is sweeter, but equally as good. It's perfect if you don't want to use the bourbon in your recipe! 

Glaze
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 Tablespoons butter
3 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Combine all in saucepan, boil 4 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment