Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Bacon, Ranch and Chicken Mac and Cheese

This recipe, which I found here, was made with my hubby in mind.  He eats way more ranch and mac and cheese than a normal person should consume.  With this recipe containing those key components, I figured there was no way I could go wrong.  Well, sadly I was wrong.  While the meal wasn't unbearable to eat, it lacked any flavor.  I even used a rotisserie chicken to give it a little extra flavor besides the bacon and seasonings.  For us this won't be a keeper since I have so many other recipes to work through.  However, if you do decide to make this, I suggest tasting the sauce before you add the chicken and pasta to it and add whatever you think is needed, maybe other seasoning or more bacon.  Let me know what changes you make!  Enjoy!


Bacon, Ranch and Chicken Mac and Cheese

Ingredients
8 ounces elbow macaroni
1 slice applewood smoked bacon
8 ounces chicken breast, cut in 1/2 inch pieces (I used 1 cup rotisserie chicken, shredded)
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 Tablespoon flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken)
3/4 cup Italian blend cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
1/8 teaspoon salt
cooking spray
1/2 cup colby jack cheese, shredded



Cook pasta according to package directions.  Preheat broiler.  Spray a baking dish with cooking spray (I think mine is 8 x 11).

In a large, non-stick skillet, cook the bacon until crisp.  Remove from pan (reserving any drippings), chop, and set aside.  Add the chicken to the pan and cook about 6 minutes (until done or heated through in my case), set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together your milk and soup.

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, pour in the oil and sprinkle in the flour.  Whisk constantly for 2 minutes.  Gradually add the milk mixture, whisking constantly as you pour.  Bring to a low boil for 2 minutes, or until thick.  Remove from heat and let stand 4 minutes.

Add the Italian cheese and seasoning to the milk mixture and stir until cheese melts.  Then add the chicken and pasta to the sauce.  Pour into your baking dish and sprinkle with bacon a colby cheese.

Broil for 3 minutes, or until cheese melts.  Let sit for a couple of minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment