Wednesday, August 3, 2016

de Young Museum-Oscar de la Renta The Retrospective

"What I try to do in my design is to make a woman dream."


A few weeks ago my main man and I headed to the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park for the Oscar de la Renta exhibit. We had yet to explore the de Young Museum, so what better excuse than the de la Renta retrospective. Needless to say, I was like a kid in a candy store. I could barely contain my excitement just walking into the museum.  You would think I was getting ready to meet the Queen of England (on my mind since we are going to London soon....yay!) who was gifting me my own Oscar de la Renta gown! I've always loved fashion and paid attention to designers, but always seemed to be drawn to Oscar de la Renta because of the femininity and detail of mainly his ballgowns.


So, speaking of getting "gifted" a dress, I'll take the one on the left hand side above......thank you! Dream big right! Honestly though, these dresses and gowns were absolutely beautiful in person. The subpar iPhone photos just don't do them any justice. The intricate beadwork and fabrics used alone were nothing short of amazing! Over the decades, yes you read that right, decades, de la Renta drew inspiration from everything (travel: Asia, Spain, etc. to gardens and everything in between) which really can be seen in the details of his work, which I was blown away by seeing in person. I literally don't remember speaking once inside the exhibit.  


Oscar de la Renta has never had a shortage of beautiful and prestigious women lined up to don his wears. He's dressed everyone from models (obviously, can you say runway shows and pictorials in little magazines such as Vogue) to first ladies and many celebrities and actresses, etc. In fact, the gowns below are just a tiny representation of those worn by celebrities which you may or may not recognize. The dress pictured in the bottom left was worn by none other than Adele for Vogue in 2012 with a fierce red lip of course. Recognize the dress on the bottom right? It is the dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker to the 2014 Met Gala complete with de la Renta's signature, apparently requested by her! The second dress in that picture, though it is hard to see, was worn by Taylor Swift also at the 2014 Met Gala.


If you aren't big into fashion, it may not be the exhibit for you, but don't write it off just because of that. Anyone that appreciates art and the history behind these garments may still find enjoyment checking them out.  


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment